Founded in September 1898 as "Strong and Johnstone Co." by Ketchikan pioneers Henry C. Strong and Frederick C. Johnstone, it was renamed Tongass Trading Company in 1900, and incorporated in October 1901. At the turn of the century, Tongass Trading Company supplied the miners and mining camps throughout Southeast Alaska. In the 1920s, 1930s, and 1940s, Tongass Trading Company provided supplies, gear, and storage to the commercial halibut fishing fleet, as well as household goods, clothes, and groceries to local residents. In the mid and latter part of the 20th century, Tongass also supplied the booming logging camps of Southeast Alaska. Through our 122 years, Tongass Trading Company has kept pace with progress and the changing industries of Alaska. Today, Tongass Trading Company supplies commercial and sport fishing gear, hardware, furniture, and clothing to industry and residents of Southeast Alaska. Additionally, Tongass Trading Company is a popular stop for cruise ship travelers looking for uniquely Alaskan curios, gifts, and souvenirs. Through our 122 years in retail, we have tailored one of the best shopping experiences Alaska has to offer.